Moem's Journal
It's not Myspace...wait, it's not even LiveJournal.
Weekend project 
24th-Oct-2009 09:34 pm
kladderkatje
On Friday, I suddenly decided to re-upholster my chairs and couch. I'd bought really good (and not cheap) fabric especially for that purpose, over five years (and one couch) ago, but never got the necessary Round Tuits, mainly because I had planned to print a pattern on part of the fabric first.
I decided not to do that after all, and use the fabric as-is. Much less work, much less chance of messing up and wasting hundreds of euros' worth of pure wool fabric, and I can always do patterned cushions if I end up wanting the pattern after all.


I started off by making a yellow bag, the size of the back of the chair; put it on, pull it taut and see how it looked. It looked surprisingly good, even when the seams were in a different position than they were originally.
For the seat, I made two little seams in the green fabric, to get the boxy shape that it has at the front. Apart from that it's just tacked to the wooden frame, on the bottom of the seat so you can't see it.

So it's a little bit of sewing and lots of tacks. I'm leaving the old blue fabric on, so I don't actually have to take the whole chairs apart.
I have replaced the rubber bands that hold the springs of the seat together, since that's what you actually sit on and many of them were broken. I made rubber bands by cutting up an inner tube from a bicycle.

And I sanded and varnished the tops of the arm rests. The rest still looked okay.



Click makes big


Click makes big


Click makes big


Click makes big
This page was loaded Jan 24th 2022, 4:43 pm GMT.